Kansas boasts the third highest concentration of aviation workers of all US states. The State has long been an epicenter of aerospace and aviation production serving both military and commercial users. The State’s aviation footprint includes Northrop Grumman, Honeywell, Collins Aerospace, Leonardo, Lockheed Martin, Leidos, Raytheon Technologies, Orbital ATK, Boeing, and BAE Systems.
Topeka serves not only as Kansas’ State Capitol but is also a significant contributor to the State’s aerospace industry in its long history of engineering and manufacturing pre-eminence. The greater Topeka metropolitan area has a large engineering skill base as well as growing aviation maintenance, repair & overhaul skilled workforce.
Among notable attributes in Topeka of value to the aerospace industry are:
- Topeka also is home to Washburn Institute of Technology (known as Washburn Tech).
- Topeka is less than an hour’s drive to the University of Kansas and Kansas State University, major universities with engineering and technical programs relating to aerospace and defense.
- Home to the Kansas National Guard / 190th Air Refueling Wing with its skilled workforce as part of a 200,000 strong labor force within minutes of any Topeka location.
- Co-location with major US Department of Defense facilities and skilled cyber workforce.
- Forbes Field / Topeka Metropolitan Airport with expansive ramp & apron & acreage for customized facilities development.
- Industry oriented permitting and construction environment to facilitate quick access by industry
- With a Governor committed to economic development, Kansas has a 7% corporate income tax rate if corporate income is greater than $50,000.
- Centrally located in the United States with major interstate highways and rail lines for ease of logistics / transport. Additionally, Topeka is in close proximity to Kansas City (50 mins drive) and Wichita (90 mins drive) airports for domestic and international travel.
A traditionally business-friendly state, combined with low operating costs, a deep aviation talent pool, and strong communal support makes the Topeka area attractive for the defense and aerospace industry.