As companies look to create the best product with an eye toward controlling cost, they will find Topeka can provide access to the talent and training that will enable their company to succeed. Within 60 miles of Topeka, they will be able to access a highly educated workforce with over 13,500 students graduating annually from KU, KSU and Washburn University along with access to agricultural research conducted at KSU and an existing workforce of over 3,100 currently in the food processing industry. Add to that Topeka’s access to low cost reliable power, speed to markets, aggressive financial incentive programs, and on-time delivery with fast track permitting means that the region offers food manufacturing an unbeatable combination of assets:
- Business costs 15% below the national average
- Aggressive cash incentives for jobs, investment and training
- Excellent Interstate access and plenty of shovel-ready sites
- International peers like Bimbo Bakeries, Mars Chocolate, Frito-Lay and Reser’s Fine Foods
- Also, home to Hill’s Science Diet, Big Heart Pet Brands and Crosswinds Pet Foods
- Central location makes for timely delivery throughout North America. Within one day, goods shipped by truck reach 25% of US population, 90% by day two.
- Four universities within 60 miles
- K-State expertise in Food Science Institute. Nationally and Internationally recognized in food chemistry, food microbiology, food safety, cereal science, food engineering, and human nutrition
- American Institute of Baking- major center for wheat and related grain product research and development in the world. Provides research and technical services including consulting for production and quality issues, ingredient testing, audits of ingredients and finished product quality.