The Topeka/Shawnee County Small Business Incentive is a matching incentive program that offers small businesses assistance in the areas of employee skills upgrades, equipment purchases and facility construction and renovation. The incentives are rapidly becoming popular as businesses gear up to meet the needs of their customers.
As a first step in the process, please fill out the eligibility form, page 3 of the packet and email to: Maryann.firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to GO Topeka/EMBD, 719 S. Kansas, Suite 100, Topeka, KS. Upon receipt, the eligibility form will be reviewed and verified for eligibility confirmation. Businesses must submit the eligibility form and receive approval prior to making any purchases. If the funds for this program are depleted businesses will be notified prior to completing the required documentation. Funding is not transferable.
GO Topeka will be offering four incentives for small business. See attachment for detailed incentive overview.
- Small Business Employee Training Incentive: Available to small businesses to enhance employee skillset. This incentive is for independent small business owners (non-franchisees). The incentive is limited to two employees per company. Funds can be used specially for training, skills enhancement or certifications. Funds cannot be used for transportation, hotel stay, or meals. The company will need to complete the application process prior to training. Once the training is complete, the company will need to provide a copy of the certificate, and submit a follow-up report. This incentive will cover up to $1,000 per employee (limit of two employees per company). The check will be made payable to vendor delivering the training.
- Small Business Equipment Purchase: This incentive can be used towards the purchase of new or used equipment needed for the day to day operation of the small business. The business must make the approved purchase(s) up front and submit all necessary paperwork and receipts. The business will receive a check for half the expense of the purchase, up to $7,500.
- Small Business Construction and Renovation Incentive: This incentive can be used towards the enhancement of an existing business or the construction of a new property. The business must make the approved purchase(s) up front and submit all necessary paperwork and receipts. The business will receive a check for half the expense of the purchase, up to $7,500.
- Marketing Incentive: This program will be used to develop or enhance marketing programs for
small businesses. Funds can be used for website (update or building), newspaper, magazine, radio or
television ads, banners, signage, or promotional materials. This one time $1,000 per business incentive is
available to help promote small businesses through advertising/marketing. The check will be made
payable to the vendor providing the service.
- Architect and Design Incentive: A one-time incentive is available for small businesses working with the City of Topeka’s Development Services in the design phase of their construction or renovation project. The funds will go toward the cost of the professional services. The business will receive a reimbursable incentive up to $1,500. Businesses must submit paid receipt in order to receive a reimbursement. No match necessary.
For more information contact Glenda Washington.